Tomorrow I am going to a fundraiser and was asked to bring a little something to share with the guests. There will be hungry children and hungry adults! So what baked good is the best compromise for all ages? Well, cupcakes of course! It’s small enough so that adults don’t feel as though they are eating too much sugar and can be decorated in fun ways to make kids smile! And, as we all know, being as obsessed with Fall as I am, I could not have chosen anything aside from cupcakes that look like little apples!
But baking cupcakes is easy, so I decided to make this post a little different today and focus on decorating rather than baking! There is something je ne sais quoi about a cupcake that both looks and tastes good!
I seem to be having many culinary adventures this week…first burning myself with sugar, and today, I baked and assembled these cupcakes while my air conditioning was broken. I had the oven on and the dryer running (laundry day!) and the house reached 89F at one point. Yuck! But it’s fixed and back to normal!
* 2 cupcake trays
* 24 red cupcake cups
* Small roller pin
* Small leaf cookie cutter
* Cupcake recipe of your choice
* Buttercream recipe of your choice
* Watermelon Airheads or Green Fruit Roll-Ups
* Red decorating sugar
* Pretzel sticks
1. Bake 24 cupcakes into red cupcake cups, using any recipe of your choice (I used a simple vanilla cupcake recipe and swirled red food dye into half of the batch for a marbled effect).
2. Prepare any buttercream recipe of your choice. (I used 1 stick of unsalted butter, 1 package of cream cheese, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and whisked all ingredients until well-blended).
3. Cover every cupcake completely with one somewhat chunky layer of buttercream.
4. Pour red decorating sugar into a small bowl and dip each cupcake into it, so it becomes completely covered.
5. Place a straight pretzel stick through the middle of the cupcake, to serve as the apple stem.
6. Using the small fondant roller pin, flatten out Watermelon Airheads.
7. Using the small leaf cookie cutter, cut 24 leaves out of the Watermelon Airheads. You can texture each leaf using a toothpick.
8. Place leaves near apple steam on each cupcake.
It’s very simple but it looks fancy, right?